Thursday, September 9, 2010

Big day, big city

So far, I have been awake for 26 hours...forgive me if this doesn’t make sense!!!  
To help you understand, when I woke up this morning I lived in Canada.  Tonight, I am going to bed in England!
In that time, I have packed, gone to the bank, picked up contacts, said good-bye to my cat, visited my grandpa, rearranged all of my luggage at the airport with the help of my mom, sister and boyfriend because 2 out of the 3 pieces of luggages I brought were over the 70 pound max limit, said good-bye to them, took a plane to Chicago, then to Heathrow on a red-eye flight (and I have red eyes now b/c I only slept for 3 hours), drove to a place outside Reading on the opposite side of the street in the opposite side of a car, went to a grocery store, went to Reading to set up a bank account (didn’t have any luck b/c I took my passport out of my purse before leaving to go set up the bank account), went to get a phone (but couldn’t do that b/c I didn’t have a bank card to set up my pre-authorized payments), took the train back to Twyford all on my own, ate dinner, assessed the stuff in my luggage, talked on Skype with my boyfriend, sister and dad before my connection went out, took a hot hot shower (which felt AMAZING), and I am now all ready for bed!!!!








Highlights:
  • When my plane landed in Heathrow and pulled up to its resting spot on the tarmak, to the very right of me sat 3 Air Canada planes - reminding me that I am not that far away from home
  • An amazingly generous family (whom my parents knew from high school) took me into their home and are giving me a place to lay my head until I find a flat 
  • My mom got a Vice Principal position today
  • I moved to LONDON, ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!
Lo-lights:
  • I wasn’t able to connect with my mom to say congratulations.
All-in-all today was a great day!  No major hiccups, no problems at the boarder, didn’t get lost anywhere!!!



Agenda for tomorrow:
  • Set up a bank account (with passport, and ALL other documentation I can scrounge up)!
  • Get a cell phone.
  • Go view my first flat in the afternoon.
  • Meet my future boss and some of my co-workers.
  • Go to a bar-b-que at a neighbours house.
    I wonder what other surprises tomorrow will bring!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  I’ll keep you posted!!

    6 comments:

    1. My darling amazing daughter. First and foremost I want to say...I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. You have courage and maturity beyond your years. I am confident that you will be successful no matter where you are. It seems surreal that I am here at home and you are in London. All the best of luck tomorrow finding a place to hang your hat. I love you so and miss you terribly already.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I wonder who that anonymous comment is from?

      My darling amazing sister. Don't forget that we are both together. I mean I live in London, you live in London...the only small difference I see is that we are thousands of miles apart! But you know that no matter what you do, I am right by your side!
      I love you and I miss you. I think England has given you a glow because you looked beautiful today! Can't wait to talk again. Good luck tomorrow.

      Best wishes...and if the fire alarm goes off and you have to run outside, be sure to be wearing more than just your pants!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Dear Marla --- what an amazing adventure! I am so sorry we didn't get a chance to speak before you left - when I called you were already in the air! Speaking of air - rememeber when you went skydiving? Think of this adventure as land diving --- starting a new life across the pond (as the Brits would say!). Change is so wonderful and you are so brave to do this --- I will follow your blog and please, Please, PLEASE stay in touch! I send you my love and will be there with you in spirit.
      All my love - Aunt LA

      ReplyDelete
    4. SO great to read this big sis!!!! I'm glad to hear that you're well and that everything's coming together. I still can't even fathom that you're all the way in England!!! I miss you lots and so does Dezzy but I'm giving her lots of loving (or at least trying to) so don't you fret! Hope I get a new computer soon so that I can skype with you! Love you lots and lots and lots! x0x0x0x
      -Jess

      ReplyDelete
    5. Marla, I am thrilled that you are writing this blog (and quite impressed with your amazing writing skills...where do your talents end?). It was so wonderful to see you Sunday. We will be following your every adventure, rooting for you every step of the way.

      Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks - I feel very lucky!

      ((((Hugs))))
      A.L xx

      ReplyDelete
    6. Isn't it interesting that the little things become so big! Going through your suitcases once you got there must have been the big shock of realization that you've actually moved there. Pretty cool!

      ReplyDelete