Friday, September 10, 2010

Pound for Pound...I need a bank account NOW!!!!

After having ZERO sleep by 7am this morning, I decided to take a Gravol and hit the sack.  PLUS my stomach has been terribly sore, so I thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone!  I slept until 1pm and got ready for the day.
Without eating (didn’t want to upset my stomach any more), I went into Reading all excited that today was going to be the day that I got things started.  My mission for the day was to do 2 things...1. set up a bank account, and 2. get a phone.
I went to the bank with my passport in hand (I was denied yesterday because I didn’t have it on me), and sat down to speak with a bank rep.  He told me I also needed to have proof that I am working in London (something I obviously did not have on me).  So off I went to search for a place that had a computer I could use to go onto the internet and print off my work contract that was in my inbox.  We found a library a short ways away and had to have the person I was with get a library membership just so that we could use the computer for like 2 minutes.  We went back to the bank and had to wait 40 minutes to see someone and because of the long wait they didn’t have enough time before the bank closed to set up my bank account.  The new rep that I spoke with also told me that I didn’t need to bring in my letter of employment......
Soooooo I couldn’t get a phone either...but on the bright side, I did have a great walk through Reading, it’s such a cute place!!!  Lots of little shops and tons of restaurants, a ‘cinema’, shops and tons of people walking around.  There are no cars in this one stretch, so you can walk freely in the street!!  And the streets are kind of cobble-stoney, which is soo pretty!!!
The weather has been great these past 2 days...around 65 degrees, a bit cloudy, but nice.  There is a soft breeze that is refreshing and not too cold, just perfect for walking around!
For dinner I had an amazing leek, pea and goat cheese quiche that was amazing, over great conversation with the family I am temporarily staying with.  I had scraps of some cake the daughter did not need for a cake she is giving her boyfriends twin sisters for their birthday tomorrow.  I even got to lick the sides of the bowl after she was done mixing and pouring the cake batter into a pan!!!  YUM!!
After dinner I went to a local pub in Wargrave which was super cute!!  Very rustic looking inside with exposed wood beams, log fireplaces, comfy leather chairs...not your typical pub at all!!  I was definitely expecting something more...how should I put this....grungy??




So now it’s 2:40am...still can’t sleep...looking forward to the day I will be able to go to sleep at a reasonable time!!!!
Tomorrow’s agenda:  OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!
Ta-ta for now!!!

5 comments:

  1. How unfortunate about your bank account situation. At least the rest of the day seemed to be enjoyable. I think a quality you certainly will develop more than ever before is perseverance!!! I admire your tenacity and wish you all the best of luck tomorrow. I hope that by this time tomorrow you will have money in your pocket and cell phone in your purse :) All my love. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-(. Good luck today! What I want to know is - how was you quasi first day at work??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, wish you luck today in your bank account endeavors! Have a glass (or two!) of wine tonight before bed, hoping that will make you a little tired!

    xo
    tiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - can you open a bank account on a Sunday....? Reading sounds darling BUT London will be amazing!
    Can't wait to hear about your first day @ work!
    Hugs
    A LA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would of thought that such seemingly simple things - such as getting a phone and opening a bank account - would be such tedious tasks. But I was glad to read that you were able to enjoy your day of wandering. After all, it is not the destination that really matters but rather the journey to get there!

    ReplyDelete